Microsoft’s Greatest Hardware Hits
You may have to reload some images and files the next time you browse, but you’ll free up hundreds of megabytes of space. Set the value of the registry key ‘Overwrite’ to 0.
After clearing out all the gunk, empty the trash, which will delete these files and apps. Finally—and this is important—reboot your computer. Clearing your browser history is another way to cleanse your computer of toxins and hogged space. Go into your web browser of choice, open the preferences, and flush that browser history.
Delete Temporary Files In Windows
But, if you believe the DirectX Shader Cache is corrupt or too large, you can delete it. This is similar to “System archived Windows Error Reporting”. The only distinction is that the error reports are not sent to Microsoft. You can choose to delete it or not based on your own requirements.
- The Clean Up System Files button provides you with access to the Windows Update Cleanup feature.
- While this is a pretty simplified description of the WinSxS folder, the general idea I want to convey is the WinSxS folder can grow so large that it takes up a good chunk of hard disk space.
- The main feature of the Disk Cleanup interface is the Files To Delete scrolling list.
- As I do, I’ll give you a little background on the Windows update leftovers that this tool is designed to eliminate.
- I’ll take a closer look at the Disk Cleanup tool and then focus on the new Windows Update Cleanup feature.
- Depending on your UAC setting, you may see a UAC prompt when you select that button.
DirectX Shader Cache contains the files that are created by the graphics system. These files can be used to speed up application load time and improve responsiveness. If you delete them, they will be re-generated as needed.
Given this, when you see the following options in Disk Cleanup, you need to make a decision according to your actual situation. So, just keep the Windows ESD installation files on your computer.
This key can be found in the registry path mentioned above. If cdd.dll was not found you want to overwrite existing crash dump file, then set its value to 1. Below command would disable crash dump overwrite.